After last Spring Term when I had to figure out how to turn my Dance Comps performance into a digital production, I got used to being outside of my technological comfort zone. I never considered myself particularly tech-y, but because I was put in a position where I had to teach myself new skills, I knew I wanted to find out more. Hence, I applied to be a DHA and wow, have I learned a lot this term.
Much of what I worked on during Fall Term, whether it was a project or general housekeeping items, had to do with WordPress. When I logged onto the DHA Blog WordPress site last week and saw my introduction post from September, it dawned on me that back then I did not understand how to use WordPress at all. Although at the time I was able to create a post with relative ease, I didn’t even realize that I was editing the backend of the site!
I have to credit Miyuki and Luna for all the help I got from them in learning more than just the basics of WordPress. Miyuki and I spent some time finding and fixing broken links on the Carleton DHA site and it was here that I got a hang of going into a certain page to edit it. Then I was able to work with Luna and Marcella on a faculty WordPress project. This was exciting because the bits and pieces I had picked up in the weeks prior really came together. I finally understood the different editing techniques WordPress offers and I feel much more confident in my abilities now.
It was a (surprisingly) good term (given the circumstances) and I’m excited to see what winter brings!