End of Term Reflection – Communication!

I’ve known for a while that communication is really important when working in teams, but this term really drove home for me how crucial it is. I spent a good amount of time this term working on prepping and uploading archival images of workhouse documents from London in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries as part of the Virtual Workhouse project (you can see the fruits of our labors here!). Tyler and I were both working on these spreadsheets so there were a lot of moving pieces, with having to keep each other in the loop about our progress, checking in with Austin and Sarah about problems we were running into, and talking with Susannah about unexpected issues we came across (like an index in the front of two of the volumes!).

Trello, which is a new piece of our workflow this year, was very helpful for me. Tyler and I could record what we had done each time working on the spreadsheet in a shared place to keep track of our progress. I could tell him that I had finished the titles in Volume 3 but ran into problems with the dates, and he could tell me that he had finished the identifiers in the same volume and fixed the dates. This way we could keep track of what we had finished so neither of us was doing work the other already had.

A screenshot of the Omeka CSV Import Plus Plug-in that we used extensively in our work

Another aspect of communication that I found really important was communication with myself (essentially, documentation). Since we were dealing with the spreadsheets of six volumes of a workhouse minute book, there was a lot of data and a lot of images. I could not count on my memory to keep track of things. Even if I noticed that image 84 in Volume 2 had to be discussed, there was very little chance I would remember that. So I had to make sure to write it down for both myself and others and clearly state exactly why it had to be discussed. The same was true of meetings. I met with Susannah to ask about unexpected pages, and then brought that discussion to a meeting with Tyler and Sarah. Without my notes from the meeting with Susannah, I would not have been able to remember what we had talked about and what her suggestions had been. Likewise, I wouldn’t have remembered our decisions from meeting with Tyler and Sarah to implement them on the spreadsheets. While I’ve known for a while about the value of making good notes to communicate with both others and myself, the high volume of data that we have been working with for the workhouse minutes has driven home to me the absolutely critical nature of such documentation.