Isabel’s Introduction

Hi! My name is Isabel Rameker and I’m a sophomore. This is my first year working as a DHA, and I’m excited to get started. I found this position really interesting because it integrates technology and the humanities in a variety of creative ways, and I’m looking forward to learning new skills and approaches to the humanities. 

One DHA project that I found interesting was the interactive Boston Massacre game. The project approached a historical event in a way that I wouldn’t have considered, and I really liked the way it made the point of the project so accessible and interactive. 

Like any history, I think that the history of digital scholarship is important because it teaches us about the present. By exploring the history of anything, you widen your perspective on how it became what it currently is and you expand your knowledge and ability to work with the current systems. I don’t currently know much about the history of digital scholarship, especially when it comes to technical details, but I did find the Glass Animals website helpful in understanding some of the basics. 

I really appreciate the take put forward by Data Feminism on how data can be subjective and not only reflect but also contribute to inequalities. Looking through the exhibit on the history of technology, I noticed that the articles focused almost exclusively on White men and their contributions to technological advances. Although the website does focus on European history, they mentioned several (White, male) American inventors and innovators while leaving out women and people of color almost entirely. 

I’m excited to be working as a DHA this year!

Categories: Bio